Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Batman Birthday


Daniel turned four!

I asked Daniel what kind of cake he wanted for his birthday. "BATMAN," was the simple response. No problem, I thought. How hard can a batman cake be? Hmm. Well, at 11:30 p.m. I had to send my husband (who loves me VERY, VERY much) to the store to get more cake & frosting. I had made quite a mess.

Top five things I learned:
1.) It's always best to do plenty of research online before you tackle any project, no matter how simple it seems;
2.) You can't easily frost cut cake, best to chill it first, or seal with a glaze;
3.) You can't make black frosting from primary colored food dye (it doesn't mix quite like real paint)
4.) A toothpick works well to draw a shape on your sheet cake, before you bring out the colored frosting;
5.) Little boys are VERY forgiving and not nearly as critical of their mommy's creations than their mommies are!

2 comments:

  1. the cake looks great! happy birthday to Daniel. can't believe he's four already...

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol! love the lessons learned. i have had some very similar experiences. that gel icing coloring from wiltons works great for black. btw. :D

    the cake looks great & happy birthday daniel!!!

    ReplyDelete