Tuesday, July 14, 2009

God's Tender Mercies of Redemption

I heard something the other day that was so unbelievable that I couldn't have come up with a more ludicrous rumor if I'd tried. I couldn't get the horrible thoughts out of my head and genuinely wished I had never heard what I had heard. I was physically nauseated. I cried. I grieved.

It wasn't my first recent disappointment with what I had thought were grounded believers. I was overwhelmed by the thought that there would be more. I was fighting the urge to be angry.

Like everything in life, if you don't look for God's tender mercies of redemption, you can quickly become jaded. It's too easy to loose hope in people, to trust that very few are faithful to commitments. People you like do dumb things. Okay, maybe worse than dumb things, they do insane things. They make decisions based on what they think they feel, instead of what they know to be right. At first blush it looks like mere selfishness. But it's more than that. It's self-destructiveness.

Sunday at church we sang one of my favorite songs (because it awakes a slumbering spirit every time), Mighty to Save (Hillsong). It starts out:

Everyone needs compassion
A love that's never ending
Let mercy fall on me

Everybody needs forgiveness
The kindness of a savior
The hope of nations

Savior
He can move the mountains
He is mighty to save
Mighty to save
Forever
Author of salvation
He rose & conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave

Looking for good. The obvious, I am so thankful for the faithful people in my life, who choose daily to live by their commitments, because we do have power to choose to honor our commitments. My husband. My parents. My in-laws. Many, many, many of my friends.

And when it comes to those horrible rumors, I am determined to watch and pray for God's tender mercies of redemption, because he is mighty to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment