Friday, November 20, 2009

Most Thankful

I truly have a lot to be thankful for. God has blessed me with more than I could have asked or imagined. But the blessing that has impacted my life the most is my dear husband.
Eric is an electrical engineer. Yes, he has all the quirks that come with someone who would be so good at that job. I remember hearing someone speak specifically of the unique challenges of wives of engineers. They are married to men who are praised at work for finding flaws (because that's what they are paid to do). Generally we don't praise them at home for finding flaws in the way we run the household. My Eric isn't hard-wired differently than any other engineer, but after a few faulty steps he did learn.
I'm blessed. My husband cares enough about me to learn what I need, censoring his first responses.
Funny thing is that his effort, to go against his nature, to meet my need, has encouraged me to do the same thing.
My husband is gone hunting this week. When we were first married and had our son I took personal offense that he would take his very limited vacation time and choose to spend it away from us, tramping around in the cold wet woods. I loathed that he got to forget about his new responsibilities and do something only he wanted to do, especially when I couldn't take a bath without first having to figure out what to do with our toddler. I resented his leaving me with all of OUR responsibilities.
This week I'm home alone with three children, ages four, three, and one. I don't resent him anymore. I'm thankful for him. Do I love that he hunts? Not really. Do I love how refreshed he is when he comes home. Absolutely. Do I love how he treats me after I've given him this gift without whining about it. Absolutely.
I am most thankful for my husband, even though he isn't coming home tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it so hard to balance time away (from the children) for both spouses individually, plus time just the spouses, plus time as a full family during weekends and/or vacation times? Add to that the issues of taking time to play AND to get things done around the house when everyone is home and life gets quite complex.

    ReplyDelete