Thursday, January 28, 2010

ABC's Book

I have been trying to be more intentional with educating Daniel and Mercy. Daniel will start school in the fall. We didn't put him in preschool. He has a cousin who's three who is in preschool already. In my insecure moments I begin to panic that he's already behind. Other moments I know he is well beyond his peers in some areas.

We've added "school" to our daily routine three to four times a week. One project we are working on together is an ABC's book. I've seen many variations of this project, ranging from hand-drawn apples or zebras, to quite elaborate personalized books that the kids obviously weren't involved in at all (but highlight the talents of somebody's mommy).

Here is our version:



Our lesson starts with a letter. We talk about the sound. Then we talk about the words we know that start with that letter. Then I grab my camera and we go on a hunt for objects in our house that start with that letter. Both Daniel and Mercy love to be in front of the camera these days and have jostled each other in attempt to get an object to Mommy first. I snap a zillion pictures, pick out the best set them up in a 4"x6" format to print. After our project is complete we'll print the photos and slide them into an inexpensive photo album.

Eventually Daniel and Mercy will be able to teach Gracie the ABC's with their own book.





4 comments:

  1. That is such a great idea! I bet your kids will remember the letters so much more because they went out and found an object that starts with that letter. What a fun memory for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what the correct way to respond to a blog comment is so, I thought I'd just message you back here. Is there a better way? :)
    Anyway....what is currently motivating me to do the jogging is that I want know that I was able to finish a 1/2 marathon. I am such a beginner so, I know I NEED to train hard and consistently or else I won't be able to do it. So, just the sense of accomplishment for me is going to be huge. Also, since Sally and I are doing this together, I don't want to let her down.
    That's awesome that you were a jogger pre-kids. You can definetly get back into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I bet they love that the pictures in the book are so personal-what a fun way to learn letters!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Gina. It's an ongoing project as we learn the different letters. When we pick up the photos from the photo lab they are so proud to put theirs in their own little books.

    ReplyDelete