Friday, February 19, 2010

My Favorite Go To Meals - Part 1

I try to have a go to meal on hand at all times. I don't always succeed, but I try. Frankly some days are just hard and it's tempting to just go out to eat if you don't have something fast and easy to get on the table quickly. For me, Sundays is often one of these days. If I'm not prepared, it's so tempting to spend the $20-30 to go out to eat.

One of my favorite go to meals is lasagna. I have this great lasagna recipe. I love it for five reasons:

1.) It is super yummy;
2.) It works great with ground elk (and my freezer if loaded, thank-you to my woodsy husband);
3.) It freezes really well;
4.) Our family can get three meals out of just one pan;
5.) It's super easy!

Brown your meat (about 1 pound). You can use any kind of meat you like, or leave the meat out and make it vegetarian. It's super yummy either way.

Mix up the following: 16 ounces of Ricotta cheese, 16 ounces of cottage cheese, 3 eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, 2/3 cup grated (or shredded) Parmesan cheese, 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, and 4 tablespoons of parsley. Set aside.

Mix together one 26 ounce jar of your favorite pasta sauce and 3/4 cup of water. Set aside.

Assemble. Put a little bit of sauce on the bottom of your greased 9 x 13 pan. Cover sauce with one layer of lasagna noodles (you'll be using 16 ounces of lasagna noodles altogether). Using a spatula, cover noodle layer with cheese mixture, sprinkle with a layer of meat. Then sauce again, noodles, then cheese mixture and meat. Keep layering until you run out of ingredients. Make sure that red sauce covers the last bit of noodles.

Slide it into the oven and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. The last ten minutes sprinkle with 8 ounces of shredded mozzarella cheese and bake for an additional ten minutes. Remove from oven. Serve right away, or cool and put in freezer. I always package it in three freezer bags so that I can pull out just what I need for our family's dinner. You can reheat in the microwave or in the oven.


This recipe is a modified version of Dawn's Lasagna, found in the book
Once-a-Month Cooking by Mimi Wilson and Mary Beth Lagerborg.

2 comments:

  1. Cami -
    Thanks for the quick and easy dinner recipie. I love lasagna too and I LOVE that you took pics of the steps! How blessed am I to have you in my life for the practical as well as the in depth. I treasure you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Kim. You're sweet. I'm equally blessed to have you in my life.

    ReplyDelete