Thursday, February 25, 2010

Nostalgia


I spent a year teaching in Haiti nearly a decade ago now. I taught at Quisqueya Christian School, the Christian English speaking school that I had attended when I was in Middle and High School. I lived in a house with a bunch of other single teachers. Haiti wasn't new to me, like it was to them. They spent a lot of time drinking in the new culture they were in and I didn't take the time to invest in their lives the way that I now wish I had. The only one I got to know was my roommate, Trisha. She was from the Seattle area, like me, and we had our morning ritual of making our lattes in my classroom when the generator got turned on and we could use my espresso machine.

I taught Middle School Language Arts. The majority of my students spoke multiple languages and their needs were unique. Not a certified teacher, I felt ill-equipped to give them all they needed and didn't stay beyond that one year. The impression the kids left on me was probably much more significant than the one I left on them.




I taught Middle School Language Arts. I did invest my time in teaching. The majority of my students spoke multiple languages and their needs were unique. Not a certified teacher, I felt ill-equipped to give them all they needed. So I spent a lot of time prepping for classes and grading papers. I taught writing classes and read papers for hours and hours every week. I didn't stay beyond that one year, convinced that someone with more specialized education could better meet their needs. The impression "my kids" left on me was probably much more significant than the one I left on them.

The last assignments I gave my kids left me with the best samples of their writing to take away with me. The seventh graders put together a newspaper, to which everyone was required to contribute. The eighth graders put together a book of their best work from their writing class. It ended up being a portfolio of their very best work. Last night I looked through old photographs, read their work, did a lot of reminiscing, laughing, and thinking about where their lives are now.

Thanks to Facebook I have gotten a small window into many the lives of "my kids" now. They have grown into some incredibly amazing adults. My artistic bent has a special pride in the accomplished writers, artists, and photographers... But much more significant is who they have become, the personal journeys that they are still on, discovering who God is in their lives.

"Since the day I heard about you, I have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding." You are loved, deeply.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! Thanks for sharing! It is fun to get to know a bit more about you!

    ReplyDelete