Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Mexican Night

My husband loves Mexican food. We used to go out to eat more often (before kids) and it seemed like he always wanted Mexican (I wanted Italian, I could eat pizza every night of the week). So when I found a recipe for enchiladas, crock pot pinto beans, and spanish rice that looked fairly easy, I thought I should give them a try.


Ooh, la-la. I didn't know it was possible, but I think my husband loves me even more today than he did yesterday!


I didn't know how it would turn out, so I didn't take pictures of the whole process, but here's what I got, and what I learned!


Recipe #1: Chicken Enchiladas
The original recipe is here.


I did a couple of things differently. I only made six enchiladas (instead of eight). I used flour tortillas (because it's what I had). Also, the recipe doesn't say what temperature to bake it. I did them at 350 degrees and they turned out perfectly! The sauce was so simple and so good. I kept thinking, shouldn't I be putting some cheese in this sauce. No. There is tons of cheese up on top.


I always lay out the tortillas on the counter, that way I can get the same amount of everything in each one. I am terrible at guessing how much, then the last couple either have next to nothing, or so much I can wrap them up without making an awful mess.




Recipe #2: Crock Pot Pinto Beans
The original recipe is here.


Sorry, I have no pictures for these. I didn't think they would turn out. I learned a few things. First, the recipe called for four cups of dry pinto beans. My bag had about five cups, so I thought, what the heck, dump them all in. Well, my crock pot isn't huge. I had no idea how much water they would absorb. They swelled right up. I had juice boiling over within an hour. I had to take out a bunch of the beans. Next time... half the bag. Also, I got jalapeno juice in my eyes. They burned so bad I couldn't open them without excruciating pain. Washing them out with warm water eventually worked. But I was trying to figure out who I could call without having to see to dial (pretty sure I could dial my mom's number). Next time... scrub, scrub, scrub those hands after handling the hot peppers!


The beans turned out JUST LIKE you get at a Mexican restaurant! Yummy!


Recipe #3: Spanish Rice
The original recipe is here.


I doubled this recipe. So easy! So yummy. There is nothing more to say.


I knew I had hit the ball out of the park when Eric started talking about who we could have over for dinner when I made this next time. And Mercy, of course, says sweetly, "We could open a restaurant!" With that kind of love, I might actually start to like cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment