Sunday, May 16, 2010

Diaper Cake

I made my first diaper cake and I'm a little proud. I went online to find a video tutorial and was surprised at how easy they were. I also got a couple of tips from my super cool friend, Noel, who does these kinds of things all the time.

I think it turned out super cute and will make a great decoration on the gift table at the Thing 1, Thing 2 baby shower that I'm getting to help throw for a friend this week who is having twins!

Here's what I did:
I cut out a piece of cardboard in the shape of circle (I used an old pizza box that didn't have any grease on it). Then I hot glued some fabric to cover the cardboard. It only has to look pretty on one side.
Next I took almost an entire box of size 2 diapers (96 per box) and rolled them up. I used the tiny rubber bands that I buy for my girls' hair to secure the rolled diapers.
Then I took a bottle of sparkling cider (thanks Noel for the tip) to build my cake around. I took a larger rubber band to secure the diapers that I tucked around the base of the bottle. I ended up doing about three diapers deep on this bottom layer.
I continued up until I had three layers.
Next I took some fun ribbon I had picked out. I chose thick ribbon so that it both covered the rubber bands easily and added a lot of color.
I added a flower on top to finish it off.
I had some diapers left over. So I wrapped those up, too.

2 comments:

  1. I love diaper cakes and yours turned out so cute! Thanks for sharing how you made it, I'll be coming back here if I ever want to make one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always thought they were kind of cheesy until I saw a couple that my friend Noel did that were classy looking. (Diapers, classy?? I know sounds silly.)

    ReplyDelete