Saturday, June 5, 2010

Lego Sorting

Whether or not I always act on it, I do know that saying I love you effectively involves showing I love you by doing something with the one you love that is something they love. I am trying to be intentional about communicating I love you through my actions with my children. Yesterday was about spending time with Daniel. It is far too easy not to focus on Daniel because he entertains himself so well. Doing what Daniel loves means Lego time.

Daniel can spend literally hours pouring over a Lego catalog, dreaming of what he will buy when he's saved up enough chore tickets. Not that he needs any more Legos. He's acquired through careful saving and generous gifts from grandparents, uncles, and aunts nearly two dozen sets. But he's always thinking about what he can build next. He's incredibly creative, making all kind of amazing creations, naming each and every one.

I've been working on a project for him, his own catalog of his creations. I might add photos of his sets, as well.

I confess I was thinking about this little project when I promised we'd spend time putting together as many of his sets as we could get put together in the day. I told him we could get a picture of each of his completed sets for his own catalog. We worked on Legos ALL day.

Here's what we put together. I recognize that it looks a little unimpressive for a day's work. Mommy spent a great deal of time locating each and every piece, sifting through thousands of Lego pieces, before finally handing the right piece to Daniel, who expertly followed the assembly directions.

What we spent most of time doing was sorting thousands of little Lego pieces by color! Aren't these colors beautiful! I had to use my metal mixing bowls for the amazing amount of black, dark grey, light grey, and white pieces! That photo was rather boring, but I chould have included it to impress you with the mammoth amount of Legos we did in fact sort through.

The day was a day of accomplishment even though I didn't do a single load of laundry. I never even cleaned up my kitchen until after dinner. I spent time with my son. And because I like order, I can't explain the feeling seeing those little colored bowls of Legos gives me.

No comments:

Post a Comment