Saturday, July 24, 2010

First Movie Theater Experience

If he wasn't rolling his eyes on the outside, he most definitely was rolling them on the inside.

Eric thought I was silly for wanting to document the kids first movie theater experience. To me, this was a big deal. We have been talking about what their first experience would be for more than a year. When Toy Story 3 first started to be advertised it seemed like the obvious choice. Some of you might remember that it was Woody and Jessie that Gracie gave to Daniel and Mercy at the hospital when they met her for the first time. We own Toy Story 2 and the kids have watched it many, many, many times. It's their favorite. (We're not nearly as impressed with Toy Story, but they did see it once, too.)

We waited to hear what our friends thought of Toy Story 3. With reviews that said it was as good or better than Toy Story 2, we decided to give it a go. We went to the theater in Mount Vernon. They had an 11:50 a.m. showing that was only $6 a person. I haven't been to a movie theater since we have been married, it just isn't something we do very often (we do watch movies, we're just too cheap to pay theater prices), so this was a very big deal. I was excited.

When we got there we glanced briefly at the concession prices. Yikes!! $12.75 for a popcorn and a drink. We skipped that (though I think we really were the only ones in the theater that didn't splurge).

The kids liked the movie, but it was SCARY! Daniel informed me afterwards that he was NOT going to use his chore tickets to buy the movie when it comes out on DVD. We'll see when the time comes. But it truly was a little frightening on the big screen. Still, I think it was a good first movie choice. Eric and I both loved it. I'm not ashamed to admit I cried. And I did catch Eric rubbing something out of his eye several times there at the end.

The kids were exhausted afterwards. Gracie fell asleep within minutes of being buckled in her car seat.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, when you say "we're" not impressed with toy story, does the we're mean you as parents, or the kids? Because that's the only one I've seen, and am not in any hurry to have Ian see it. But if 2 is so much better, I may need to take a look at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alisha, the second one is SOOOO much better. We almost didn't see 2 because the first one had the even next door neighbor who was cruel to the toys. Toy Story 2 is much better. Rent before buying though. Preview before letting Ian see it. Every kid is different and you'll know whether the "excitement" is too much for him. In my opinion, Toy Story 3 is somewhere in between (but closer to Toy Story 2) in the scary department.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey cami, Kels and I cried at the end of the movie and kev admitted to a tear or two!

    ReplyDelete