Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Milk & Cookies

One of the things about being a stay-at-home mom that I love is the ability to have milk and cookies for my son when he gets home from school. I am SO looking forward to that first day that he gets off the bus and comes inside, talking a thousand words a minute. It won't happen the first week because he's just a kindergartner and I don't plan on him riding the bus right away. But I'm prepared anyway. Just because I'm a stay-at-home mom it doesn't mean that I'm going to be able to bake a fresh batch of cookies (nor should I or my Weight Watchers lifetime membership will be lost for sure) every day. But... I do have this fabulous Ginger Cookie Recipe that freezes perfectly.
Seriously, you just make up the batch, roll them in balls, dip in sugar and freeze. Then you can pull out enough for ONE TRAY! Genius, if you ask me! No three dozen cookies in the cookie jar calling my name all day (and all night)!

And the recipe, which I have been asked for more times than any other recipe in my collection (not that I have a particularly vast collection):

Ginger Cookies
1 and 1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground cloves
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons salt

Cream the shortening and sugar together. Add eggs, vanilla, and molasses. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients and mix. Roll into 1-inch balls and dip in sugar. Place on a cookie sheet and flash freeze. Place frozen balls into a freezer bag. Label the bag with recipe name and baking instructions. To serve, preheat oven to 375 degrees. The recipe says to bake for 10 minutes, but I find when I use the air bake pans it actually takes more like 12 minutes. Keep an eye on them and pull them out when they are the consistency you like. I love them soft. My mom loves crunchy.

So, what are you waiting for, go make some cookies! If you've got kids, get them to help. If you home school, call it a math lesson :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the little bunch you sent home the other day... yummy!

    ReplyDelete