Friday, October 22, 2010

Faithful Standby: Ginger Cookies

I've gotten enough compliments on this cookie to get just a wee bit cocky. Yes, they are that good. They have turned out for me every time. Okay, except for the one time I decided to replace the sugar with Splenda because at a Weight Watchers meeting they said you could do that with just about any recipe. I found the one recipe you could NOT. I had to throw out the whole batch. Nasty. But if you don't deviate from the recipe (yes, that means use SHORTENING, NOT BUTTER), these cookies won't fail you. My brother insists I could package and sell these babies. I won't, but I'm not above sending them to school with my son to get in good with his kindergarten teacher.

One of the greatest things about this recipe is that they keep in the freezer. You can pull out half a dozen and bake them off if you have someone stop by unexpectedly. How good could that make you look? Have I convinced you to try them yet?

Ginger Cookies
Source: Once-a-Month Cooking, Mimi Wilson & Mary Beth Lagerborg

1 1/2 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup molasses
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons salt

Cream together the shortening and sugar. Add eggs, vanilla, and molasses. Mix well. Add remaining ingredients. Roll into 1-inch balls and dip in sugar. Place on cookie sheet that has been lined with wax paper. Freeze all balls of dough. Place in in zippered freezer bag and seal. Freeze.

To serve, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place frozen balls on cookie sheet and bake for ten minutes. Cool slightly before removing from the pan.

Devour shamelessly.

2 comments:

  1. Ok, I just had to make this recipe. They look so good and I'm obsessed with Starbucks molasses cookies so, I had to try these ones.
    They are in the freezer chilling....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had me at Ginger Cookies. I like the freezing bit.... For when Joscelyn's at a MOPS thing...

    Yep, that's the ticket!

    ReplyDelete