Saturday, October 2, 2010

Monkey Bread Morning

Today looks just about perfect.

Eric is home today. I love days when he is here, even if he's outside all day. I used to be a little bit bitter the days he was home but spent them outside working on "chores" while I was stuck inside alone with the little ones. Then when he started to hunt more on the weekends again I became grateful for the comfort of having him home, even if he was outside. There is something good about being able to ask him to come in when needed. (Like when Mercy falls out of the top bunk at six in the morning. Yes, she gave me a terrible fright when pulled out of a deep sleep by a huge thump, followed by screaming. I was truly thankful Eric was just outside and not five hours away.)

Yes, today looks just about perfect. The weather is cool and crisp with the promise of warming up. Eric is out working on the shed. I spent a few minutes making Monkey Bread (recipe found here) so I could introduce the sweetie goodness to my kids because we have nowhere we need to be until an afternoon wedding.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut up (using kitchen scissors) and put into a gallon size Ziploc bag two containers of Pillsbury Grand Biscuits. Make about 1/3 of a cup of cinnamon sugar and dump into the bag. Close bag and shake until the biscuit pieces are covered well. Dump contents into a prepared bunt pan. 

Meanwhile mix 1 tablespoon of light corn syrup, 1 cup of brown sugar, and 1/2 cup butter in a sauce pan. Melt together on low, stirring every minute or so. (I just dumped what I had left of the brown sugar. I didn't measure.)

Drizzle the melted yummy mixture over the top of your biscuit pieces.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes until golden brown. Cool for about ten minutes and flip over onto a plate. I like to use a cake platter because it makes it look fancy.


What makes your Saturday perfect?

2 comments:

  1. That bread looks and sounds so good! I'm going to make that sometime. I'm glad you're family is having a good Saturday. Our's is good, too. Jeremiah got up with Judah and let me sleep in. Then he did chores (oddly, that makes me happy). Now he and Judah are out getting some groceries and I'm home ALONE. How weird and wonderful it is to be in a silent house!
    I hope the rest of your day goes great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! My mom used to make this all the time growing up-but I'd forgotten about it, my kids would love it for a Saturday treat. Thanks for reminding me of it. :)

    ReplyDelete