Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies, Pie, and Thankful Thoughts

Happy Thanksgiving!

Tomorrow it's off to Grandma's house we go, so today is a bit of preparing for our part of the feast and enjoying the warmth inside with the temperatures dipping down to the teens outside.


First it was Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies, because my kids won't eat Pumpkin Pie. This is the greatest recipe that I only just discovered, here. It's easy and yummy. The texture of the cookies is more like a cake (because you use a spice cake mix). I use straight pumpkin puree from the sugar pumpkins from our garden (harvested, pureed, and frozen weeks past before the cold and snow), but you can used canned pumpkin. Daniel (he's five) made these. That's how easy they are. And yummy. He was mighty happy to help.

Then it was the Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie, with my own pumpkin puree. I used my mom's pie crust recipe. If making pie crust makes you nervous, Krusteaz Pie Crust Mix is great.

I can't make Mom's recipe without having a little leftover for Cinnamon Sugar Sticks with the leftover crust. I forgot to get a picture before giving the kids some.

Then there is my the Frozen Fruit Salad, which is my own Grammy's recipe. Trial and error she was trying to recreate one my aunt made (which was a secret recipe she was unable to share). I think my Grammy's is even better and it has become apart of almost every holiday dinner. I'll post that recipe separately, since it's one of my faithful standby recipes.

Tomorrow Eric will do the Classic Green Bean Casserole.

As I cooked I thought about the things I have to be thankful for:
  • My Honey - one who loves me and all my quirky habits and imperfections;
  • Daniel - a kindergardener who is happy to be going to school, learning how to do new things and interact with a variety of peers;
  • Mercy - a little mini-me who loves life to the fullest, who asks to turn on the music and dance, colors at the dining room table for hours, makes a mess and solicits helpers to get it all picked up;
  • Gracie - a cuddler and hugger who knows how to make me feel loved in every and all circumstances;
  • Family - both sets of grandparents and both uncles and aunt and three cousins, and four second cousins all live within thirty minutes of our house;
  • Extended family - apart of two small groups we have had lots of opportunities to love on and be loved by members of our church family this year;
  • Health - we have NOT suffered from a string of colds (unlike last Fall);
  • Snow - we have been giving early snow in which to play;
  • God - He has been faithful in providing for all of our needs and many of our wants this year, we are blessed!
We are thankful! Are you counting your blessings?

I'll leave you with a few pictures of the kids having a grand time in the snow.







And if that looks too cold for you, make a cozier choice with a stack of books and a soft couch, like Gracie.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies sound SO DELICIOUS!! I'll have to copycat you and make these to. :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And HAPPY THANKSGIVING to you and yours! Have a wonderful day! Blessings ~ Nathalie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your snow pictures! However, the picture of Gracie on the couch with the big stack of books is my favorite! That picture is frame worthy!
    Happy Thanksgiving! Love you!

    ReplyDelete