Friday, November 19, 2010

Cold and Wet Saturday Children's Book Review Part 2

Another trip to the library and another small mountain of books. Three delighted children. So we might as well sink into the living room couch and read, read, read.

What Time Is It, Mr. Crocodile?, by Judy Sierra
2 Stars... I picked this one up because I'm trying to teach Mercy the concept of time. It's better at teaching the concept of routine (which we are a fan of in our house). But not really worth reading more than once, though the illustrations are fun.

Scarlette Beane, by Karen Wallace
2.5 Stars... I picked this one up because of the red hair and the title. The illustrations are really fun. I like the theme that the mom knew her baby would grow up to do amazing things. But it left Daniel asking a lot of "whys" that I didn't have answers for because it was just silly.

Bear Flies High, by Michael Rosen
3 Stars... This one was fun to read. Recommended if you're planning to go to an amusement park (like Disney).

The Butterfly Seeds, by Mary Watson
4.5 Stars... Lovely book. Beautiful illustrations. A nice touch of history. A little sad. And a lot hopeful. Loved it.

Tiny's Big Adventure, by Martin Waddell
5 Stars... The artist in me loved this book for the illustrations. The details in his wood engravings are lovely. I've learned he's illustrated other books, so I'm putting those on hold. The story itself is great. It's about sibling mice who go on an adventure together. I love it (probably more than the kids.)

The Ticky-Tacky Doll, by Cynthia Rylant
3 Stars... Sweet book. If your young one is having to part with a transitional object, then you might want to read this one.

When Vera Was Sick, by Vera Rosenberry
0 Stars... Yikes! Scary book (and I'm pretty certain it isn't meant to be. We got a couple of pages in and I shut the book. You can see from the picture why.

The Incredible Hulk: Hulk vs. Hulk, by Mark Shulman
2.5 Stars... I wasn't impressed, but my son has already asked me to read it multiple times. I will not be checking it out again.

Much, much more to come, I promise.


_____________________________________________
My personal star rating system:
0 Stars... Couldn't even read the whole thing to my kids.
1 Stars... Read the whole thing, just because I hate to stop halfway through.
2 Stars... Read it. Okay. Wouldn't check it out again. Probably won't even read it again while we have it still checked out.
3 Stars... Read it. Good. Will read multiple times while we have it checked out. Kid reaction will determine whether or not we'd check it out again.
4 Stars... Read it. Very good. Believe the content benefits the kids enough to make the effort to check it out again.
5 Stars... Read it. Love it. Content not only benefits the kids, but moves them.

I do NOT have a degree in Children's Literature. I didn't even major in Literature. I'm just a mom who likes to read to her three kids, ages five, four, and two. My opinions are heavily influenced by the fact that my husband and I are Christians who love Jesus and want to raise our children in the things of the Lord. If that's not you, my reviews will likely be meaningless.

No comments:

Post a Comment