Friday, November 12, 2010

Single Parent Fall

There is a stretch of Fall that always feels like I am a single parent (I realize that I don't really know what it's like to be a single parent, because it's this relatively small stretch of time when my other half is unavailable for back-up... can't fathom what it would be like to not know he was eventually coming back). I am in the middle of that stretch. I appreciate the single parents who do this, while working full-time, or even part-time. Two weekends down, in the middle of the third. One long one still to come. I'll be thankful when it's done, for another year. And hopefully when it's all over my freezer will be full.

Meanwhile me and the kids are busy with life.


I am starting a new tradition. Well, maybe it'll only last as long as I can get away with it, but I'm going to keep it going as long as possible. We went shopping for Halloween costumes AFTER Halloween. My kids were delighted! Mercy got a Batgirl costume and Daniel got an Obi-Wan costume. I got a much smaller charge to my credit card! They love to play dress up, so we will get hundreds of hours of imaginative play!


Last Saturday Auntie Sherry came and took Mercy out for seems to be turning into their annual shopping trip. They went to several local holiday bazaars. Mercy came back with gifts for both her siblings. She looked so grown all dressed and ready to go with Auntie Sherry. She had SO much fun. Thank you Auntie Sherry!

I wouldn't make it through the weekends without my parents who came over and read to the kids for hours. Unfortunately there weren't any good pictures of Papa Cook with Gracie crawling all over him, but she used him as a jungle gym for part of the evening.


Then Gracie got her silly on, while mommy was getting her baking on. Thursday I was a baking machine... two loaves of Parmesan Herb bread, one batch of Ginger Cookies, one batch of Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies, two batches of cupcakes (one chocolate, one lemon), one batch of Carmel Turtle Brownies, and finally two batches of Baked Macaroni and Cheese (because we had to eat something besides dessert for dinner).





Friday was the culmination of Daniel's week as Star Student in his Kindergarten class. I loved everything about today. My mom, the girls and I got to show up to Daniel's classroom with treats (which explains the two batches of cupcakes).  We got to be there when Daniel shared his poster (which I had put together and had printed at Costco) about all the things he loves. Then we got to stay while the kids had Centers. We hung around until the end of school and got to get a picture with Daniel's teacher (in case anyone was wondering WE ended up with the BEST kindergarten teacher EVER).

Amidst all this wonderfulness, we did manage to get started on one little Christmas project (I know, it's not even Thanksgiving yet). We made a simple activity advent calendar. It's got me all excited about Christmas (perhaps the first time in a really, really, really long time for reasons I do not need to go into).

The rest of our weekend will likely be all about getting ready for Tuesday's photo shoot with a local photographer who is putting together a book about red heads. We're hoping that we find our way into her book. With four generations of red heads showing up, ranging in age from two to eighty-something, we hope our odds are good.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete