Saturday, December 4, 2010

Keeping Calm at Christmas

I read this post earlier today about not letting Christmas turn into a harried string of activities. Keeping calm. Not being so busy doing that experiencing is nothing more than a blur.

Anyone who knows me knows how I hate hurrying from one thing to the next. Some think I would never leave the house if I didn't have to. There is a little of that in me. I don't like to leave the house, just to go. I want to have a good reason to be going. That's a little of how I feel about Christmas too. I want to have a good reason to go, not just go because that's what you do at Christmas.

I'm just like you, I have my lists. It's as long as any mother of three little ones is. We live within driving distance of both sets of parents, so we will have three Christmas celebrations. Daniel's birthday is a few days after Christmas, so we will be celebrating a birthday this month too. Some years we even had three birthday celebrations. But this year I want to make sure we plan days when we don't leave the house. Days when the only agenda is pulling out stuff from the craft drawers and making ornaments. Days when the big event is making a batch of cookies.

Think about the environment in which you are the best mommy. Strive to live in that environment, even in December. I want my children to remember Christmas being a time when Mommy gave them lots of kisses and hugs, when Mommy laughed a lot, and when Mommy hummed along with the Christmas music. I don't do any of those things when I'm stressed and overwhelmed. Do you?

1 comment:

  1. I love your last paragraph....the one that says to think about the environment in which you are the best mommy. Such a good thought to keep in mind!

    ReplyDelete