Tuesday, January 4, 2011

2011 One Little Word | Careful

Eric left for his first day back at work at six this morning. I just dropped my oldest off for his first day back to Kindergarten. I feel like the new year is starting for me today. It has me thinking about the year sprawled out before me and I want to use it well.

In blogland there is a lot of talk about "One Little Word" which is really all about focusing on one word for the year to improve the quality of your character. I looked at Ali Edwards' list here. I looked for someone else choosing the word I've selected for myself.  A lot of good words, but not the word I chose. I'm surprised.

Careful.

How often do I live life a little like a bull in a china shop? I'm so self absorbed in what is going on in my life that I give very little regard to what might be happening in the lives of those around me. Maybe it's just me. I want to be more careful with people.

How often do I waste time on meaningless tasks? I justify plopping in front of hulu during the kids' quiet time because I'm tired of doing for others and we just want a little "me time". Maybe it's just me. I want to be more careful with my time.

How often do I have an adult conversation with my husband while the kids are in the next room? Maybe it's just me. I want to be more careful with my children's ears.

How of often do I run to Target or Walmart or Bartells and throw something into the cart that I don't need, on impulse? Maybe it's just me. I want to be more careful with our money.

Careful. It's a really big little word. I want to intentionally be more careful in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment