Friday, January 14, 2011

Balancing the Days

I'm going to venture out and guess that maybe I'm not the only one out there who struggles to balance my days.

This morning I overslept. My brother woke me up with a phone call. He was sitting on my porch. We'd decided to meet for a Bible Study on Friday mornings. I rolled out of bed and opened the door for him. We had a great study. After he left I looked at my kitchen counter. This is what I saw.

Yesterday I spent a lot of time working on a project that I have been enthusiastic about completing. (This project.) One thing I have learned about myself is that I need to strike while the iron is hot or it may not get done, at least not for a really long time.

Yesterday I did very little housework. I didn't even make my bed. I did minimal picking up. I made breakfast, lunch, and dinner. But I was terribly lazy about cleaning up after myself... You saw the counter.

I need to strive for better balance. I rarely know where to start, but today I started by cleaning my counter (and making my bed).

This is how it looks now.

Any other creative types out there have any wisdom on how to achieve balance when the need to be creative strikes?

2 comments:

  1. Your counter looks great! I love how it feels to get the clutter put away.
    I wouldn't say I'm the creative type but, here's what works for me. I make a list of what I need to get done BEFORE I start my fun project. Then I quickly make the bed, do the dishes or whatever and it almost feels like a reward to be able to do whatever activity that I wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so on, Angela. I lack the discipline. I think that's the real issue. I'm trying hard to do just that, make my chore list and do those things first. But it's hard :)

    ReplyDelete