Thursday, February 3, 2011

Organizing 101

I love it when I find a children's book that solidly teaches something that I am trying to firmly instill in the character of my children. With this in mind, my all-time favorite kids series is The Berenstain Bears First Time Books. At the top of the list of those books is The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room. The authors expertly make a case for the need for order and organization in children's bedrooms. And for the most part we have accomplished that with a variety of well labeled tubs. The kids have chore charts (click here to see my post about that) that helps to maintain the order in their rooms.

But I discovered a new book that I love: A House Is a House for Me by Mary Ann Hoberman and Illustrated by Betty Fraser. At first blush this book actually looks like it would be embraced by a "messy". And maybe there is a little messy in my that loves this book. Maybe that's why it makes such a good children's book. The illustrations are piles of finely detailed objects. The chaos, even on the page, makes my heart race just a little bit. But the entire premise of the book is that every object has a home if you think about it hard enough about what it might be.

I love the line:
The more that I think about houses,
The more things are houses for things.

That's organizing to me, finding the permanent "home" for each and everything you bring into your home to live with you. This book embraces a child's many objects. (My daughter has a lot of little objects that we have to think very hard about what tub they belong in.)

Lately I've been inspired to organize paper in our house. But more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment