Monday, March 28, 2011

Risking Misquoting | This Time It's Worth-It

I've been accused of misquoting before. Yeah, I know, not good. It's happened to the best of us and it's embarrassing and quickly reminds us that we are human. We are, you know. Redeemed. Yes. Striving towards Christ-likeness. Yes. Human. Definitely, yes.

At small group tonight we were studying a very famous book, Boundaries. If I'm completely honest I struggle with setting appropriate boundaries. And I want to be quick to remind you that most of us either struggle setting healthy boundaries or RESPECTING someone else's boundaries. I know I would rather be the former of the two, therefore, I think it's probably safe to say that is more likely where my weakness is.

I experience turmoil over commitments. Do you? Do you go through mental gymnastics over whether or not to say yes to something? There is a lot of good that comes out of the things we commit to. Who really wants to say no to something that you know God can bring good from? I don't like admitting that there are a lot of things that I say yes to that I really in my heart of hearts would rather say no. Then I do it out of obligation. Sometimes that is good. We're glad we said yes to getting up early and exercising. (That isn't something I said yes to, by the way, but if I did I imagine I'd feel really good about it afterwards.)

Tonight the little piece of advice I walked away with (and I am PARAPHRASING, so don't accuse me of misquoting, please) is: If you cannot say yes with complete conviction, then you shouldn't say yes. Jesus say in Matthew 5:37 when talking about oaths (commitments), "Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one." This isn't just conviction because you WANT to do something, but conviction that GOD wants you to do something. That's the kind of conviction I'm talking about.

Guess what! I got clarity on something I needed clarity on tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment