Thursday, April 7, 2011

I'm Just a Pureeing Machine | Cauliflower

Oh the odor. It screams Y.U.C.K.!

I started out big, because I had big ideas. I got a three pound bag of cauliflower florets at Cash & Carry. It was pretty cheap and mostly cut up.

I roughly chopped it.

Then I dumped it into a big pan with water and boiled it for about 20 minutes.

When it seemed mushy I pulled it off the stove and using a utensil I think is meant for frying foods, I scooped out a couple of big spoonfuls, putting it into my food processor. (Have I mentioned how much I've discovered a new found love of my food processor?)

Puree. Dump into a bowl. Repeat.

Once it was all pureed I transfered it into ice cube trays to freeze. Once frozen I dumped the cubes into a Ziploc freezer bag. I made two dozen little cubes.

The remainder I transfered to Gladware and stored in the refrigerator to add to sauces as needed.

I have also pureed carrots, asparagus and spinach. The process is the same, so there is no need to go over all of that.

Want to find out what I can sneak these foods into? I'll post again on Monday with one of our favorite meal makeovers. Yes, I try cauliflower in it! This will be the first time ever that my kids have had cauliflower! (Obviously we aren't the most healthy household if they haven't ever been exposed to cauliflower! But we are slowly making improvements!)

3 comments:

  1. One of my favorite things to have for dinner is mashed cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes. Just do what you did but, add seasonings, maybe a bit of shredded cheese and it's amazing. Judah loves it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that reminds me to do some of that for Graham but I'll do extra and try to sneak it in to everyone else (but they smell would alert them- ha!) thanks for these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I just thought of another book I once checked out called Toddler Cafe by Carden. Haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but wrote them down in anticipation of trying them someday. Might help you out some-Sno-Isle libraries has it.

    ReplyDelete