Monday, April 25, 2011

Improving Recipes | Whole Wheat Flour

I'm in a bit of a slump. I'm not feeling particularly motivated to make changes to the kids' diets (and ours). Perhaps it's because it feels like the easy stuff has been done and I need to be working a little harder and finding ways to improve our intake.

This week I decided to cut back on the white flour and throw in some brown. I did half white and half whole wheat with one of our favorite bread recipes. We eat way too much bread in our house. All my kids would be perfectly content to sit and have bread and water for dinner. Really. But that creates some issues that you really don't want to hear about.

Parmesan Herb Bread is super yummy. Every time I make it for someone new they ask for the recipe. It's so easy. I found it here. Even with half whole wheat flour the kids gobbled it up without complaint and Eric actually said it tasted even better than usual. Yeah! Success.


Then I took our favorite Strawberry Rhubarb Crunch and replaced all the flour with whole wheat flour and only made half the amount of topping the recipe called for. (That takes out a LOT of butter!) It did end up being soupier than Eric likes, but it was super yummy. My brother was over for dinner and he had seconds and he isn't a big fan of sweets. Success!

1 comment:

  1. I'm going to try both recipes! I just read somewhere that using white whole wheat flour will keep recipes from being too hard? Not sure about that but worth looking into. I usually use half and half like you do. I do that for our pizza crust and it turns out well!

    ReplyDelete