Sunday, August 7, 2011

MOPS DGL & Mentor Training Mini-Retreat

Something that is new for me is the opportunity to serve as our MOPS Group's Discussion Group Team Leader. One of the things I wanted to do was a training retreat. Timing is always an issue and we had to collapse what would have been an all-day retreat to a four hour one since our little town parade and fair fell on the same day we'd planned the retreat.

I wanted to have little gift bags for the ladies to help make them feel special and appreciated. Between the DGLs and Mentors I had a dozen bags. I used Mod Podge to monogram the otherwise plain gift bags.

There bags were stuffed, but there were a few items including: a personalized notebook, a package of assorted blank note cards, granola bar, and chocolate chip oatmeal cookies.

Kim, the MOPS Coordinator also had a few items for the DGLs, which I was able to include in the bag.

I had fun packaging them.

The whole process of planning the mini-retreat was a lot less stressful because I didn't have to do it alone. The MOPS Mentor Coordinator worked with me. She and I gel really well and she was so wonderful to come to me to plan so that I didn't have to drag my kids to her place. She was a wonderful sounding board and graciously tweaked some of my ideas with her wisdom. I am so blessed to get to work with her.

One of the things that is new for us this year is we have the luxury of having a "Back-up DGL". We have six DGLs and only five tables. We've found that our DGLs have to miss from time to time because of sickness, and the thought of having a DGL who could step in when the need arose was really, really appealing to me. We had an obvious choice in our group. One of our DGLs happens to be on Steering, she's in charge of Registration. So she already has had some degree of contact with all of the ladies. She's also a really adaptable person and it just made sense to choose her. It also gives us the flexibility that if we get slammed with registrations the first week (which can happen) to add a sixth table.

A little bit of socializing as everyone was still arriving, over Italian Sodas and fruit.


This was a team building exercise called "All Aboard!" You take a rope and form a circle and have everyone stand inside the circle. Then you tighten the circle and have them do it again, forcing them to get closer and closer every time. The ladies were such good sports about it. The application point was that over the course of this year we need to get closer and closer, uncomfortably close, to accomplish what God has in store for us, but that we want to be in the circle of what He is doing!

The next team building activity I had prepared was tricky. They were split into two teams. Each team was given a letter size sheet of paper and a pair of scissors. They were instructed to make an unbroken circle from the sheet of paper.

Carrie, my "Back-up DGL" was the first to get the "point" of the exercise. Immediately prior to the exercise I had told the ladies how important it was that they understood that they could always ask Linda or me for help this year. I didn't want them to feel like they were doing their jobs alone! They truly were apart of a team. Carrie was the first one to ask me for help. I didn't do it for them, but walked them through the solution! She also immediately wanted to help the other group! She SO got the point!



Sometimes I have a hard time believe that the Lord blessed me with such an incredible group of ladies to work with this year. I had so much fun yesterday. I also felt so exhausted when it was all done. I'm not a natural leader and it does drain me, rather than nourish me. But God made it so clear to me that He was calling me to fill that role this year, so I knew He was going to make up for my lack.

5 comments:

  1. The training was incredible. Thank you for taking the time to make each of us feel special. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a wonderful time yesterday! My favorite was the praying and the Bible reading. Thanks for everything, Cami!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the gift bag idea. Looks like you guys had a great time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mommyszablewski@yahoo.comJuly 24, 2012 at 6:09 PM

    Did you save the labels you made? I would love to use them for our retreat! If not no prob- they were just really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take a look after the kids are down tonight and see if I can find them. If I can, I'll email them to you.

      Delete