Sunday, August 14, 2011

Requested Meals | Chili for a Crowd with Cornbread

Do you have any meals that get requested?

I didn't until recently and you know, it made me feel really good. I have never thought of myself as a good cook. My husband came to the marriage with more cooking experience than I did and his expectations for a wife's skills in the kitchen felt high. Did you know a proper meal has a veggie and a salad? Who knew? I do now, and I don't always serve a "proper meal" but I am aware now when I don't. And trust me my defenses are up when I do.

So when I asked my friend who I was taking a meal to if she had any requests it felt so good that she immediately said, "Your chili!" She won't feel like chili after surgery, but she said her hubby and daughter would be upset with her if she didn't request my chili. Wow! Flattery will get you chili any time you want it. Might even have to throw in some Ginger Cookies for dessert.

I'm not a huge chili fan, but apparently I have a good chili recipe. I found my recipe in one of my husband's recipe books (you read that right), Land O Lakes Treasure of Country Heritage Meals & Menus. It's a great cookbook. You can buy it used here. I think it must be out of print. We could only find it used a few years ago. When we got married Eric felt like he should leave one behind for his mom when he moved out, since she used it so much.

The chili is super easy.

Chop an onion, green pepper, and one stalk of celery.


Brown one and a half pounds of ground beef with the onions, peppers, and celery. (Takes 10-15 minutes.) Drain the fat.

Then you start dumping in stuff:
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
1 to 2 tablespoons chili powder
1 and 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 and 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Stir all that in and bring to a full boil. Then turn the heat down and allow it to summer for 30 to 40 minutes or longer. The longer the better, I've found. Makes ten servings.

It makes a huge pot. The recipe says it serves ten and I'd agree. So take dinner to someone tonight, or better yet, have another family over! Serve with cornbread! Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I'm seriously going to make this soon. We love chili and I can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! :) Love all the hidden veggies :)

    ReplyDelete