Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Tutorial | Paper Advent Wreath

I needed to put together a simple paper advent wreath for our midweek program at church (TRU Story by David C. Cook Publishing). I scoured the web and couldn't find anything. So I decided to use elements of things I saw to make my own.

First, you make the wreath itself. There are lots of tutorials for wreaths around the web. I liked this design the best because it was pretty simple.












Now we have to prepare the wreath for attaching advent candles that we will make.




Okay, now we are ready to make some candles.



I didn't get a photo of making the Christ Candle. The process is the same as the other candles, except that I used white index paper (card stock) and I rolled it using a pencil. Also, I used clear tape to secure the size I wanted. I used a piece 1 1/2 wide and 8 1/2 inches long.


You'll end up with something that looks like this.

But the point isn't merely to make a craft with your kids, though that certainly is fun. The main purpose of this is to have a way to help kids remember the symbols of one of our church's Christmas Traditions. We use an advent wreath at church each week during advent, lighting a candle each week and reading the Scriptures that tell a different part of the Christmas story.

I love the symbolism of the wreath itself, the shape reminds us that God, His love and His mercy last forever, they're endless. The color represents the new life through Christ that we are offered. The use of the candles represent that Jesus is the light of the world. Four candles remembers the 400 years of waiting between the last prophecy of His coming and His actual birth. Even the colors are significant. Purple represents royalty, as well as the color of fasting and penitence. The rose colored (third) candle represents extreme joy, when we break from the waiting to celebrate. The white of the Christ candle represents His purity.

Each candle is lit while telling a different part of the story. Our church has the first candle as the prophecy (hope) of His coming. The second candle is the Magi and Bethlehem. The third is the Shepherds. The fourth is the Angels. And final the Christ Candle itself is lit Christmas Eve.

Merry Christmas. May you spend special time this season remembering with those you love the incredible gift of Christ's love.

2 comments:

  1. Where was this a few weeks ago when I was desperate for a Sunday School idea!:) I ended up having the preschoolers glue torn pieces of green paper on a paper plate! Cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tutorial and what a wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete