Monday, January 30, 2012

Project Life | Week Four

I am still very much in like with Project Life. Last night I was given a little gift of extra time today (I was supposed to go help a friend who had surgery recently, but her mother-in-law is helping out) and so last night I stayed up late and worked on Project Life. I enjoy it so much!

I'm starting to really get a routine going, with what works for me (remember I'm all digital, baby).

Step One: I try to upload my pictures from the week in one fail swoop, rather than uploading each day. I use iPhoto. I create an album of all my favorites from the week.

Step Two: I run through my favorites and decide if there is one that I just love that would work for my 6x12 photo. (I've been able to find one every week so far.) I do any color adjustments, but honestly, only if they are really bad. I don't waste too much time here because I can always go back later, if I have time to fiddle with them.

Step Three: Open a previous PL page that I think is most like the layout that will work for the photos I have. I start replacing the photos with new ones. I change orientation of the photos, but stay within the grids. I am pretty rigid about staying within the grid!

Step Four: Start changing out the "extras" and adding some embellishments.


Here they are side-by-side. I really love them this week. I think I like them because I figured out how to do some things on my own. Those of you who are accustomed to making all your own scrapbook embellishments will likely find my stuff pretty elementary, but don't knock elementary school. I think we learn way more in elementary than middle or high school. I'm going to share some of what I learned this week. Keep in mind I use Adobe Illustrator CS3. Many of the processes are similar to Photoshop CS3, so if you are mildly adept in that, you can essentially do the same thing...


1.) I gave the word "beautiful" a little extra dimension by first typing one, then copying it, changing the color to a slightly creamy brown and putting it behind the white, then off setting it, just slightly. I really liked the result. It made it look a little like the words that everyone is cutting out of their little machines. If I was doing traditional or hybrid scrapping I would so get one of those fancy little machines. They look SOOOO fun!

2.) I love how my scripture card turned out. I made the zig-zag lines by drawing a very thin rectangle (that really looked just like a thick line) and then I used the zig-zag effect, playing with it until I liked the look. I copied and stacked a bunch of them and then added a white background. The little "scrap" of crinkled paper is actually a masked part of a photo. Do you recognize it?? Look at the bottom of the box of produce, yep, that's it, turned upside down and resized.

3.) And there are lots of tutorials out there on how to put type over photos and changing the transparency so that the photo shows through, so I won't go into that...


Then I just loved this photo of my youngest, Gracie, who was helping me get some chores done at the church on Friday - our special day of the week, when it's just the two of us. I love her hair, it's so 80's! She'd had a braid the day before and so she has the "crimped" look. Just makes me giggle.

I love how PL is helping me to push myself to figure out how to do more stuff with the program I use. There aren't a lot of Illustrator tutorials out there. I know most digi-scrapbookers are using Photoshop, but I just love Illustrator and have fun experimenting without the pressure with a job needing to get to the printer.

And I'll leave you with the verse that is my life verse because I believe it to be true (even when I don't live it out fully). Don't you just love being around people whose speech is gracious? I sure do. I want to be one of those people, but honestly, it's hard work sometimes, not just to hold my tongue, but to carefully choose the words so that they are full of graciousness!

"He who loves a pure heart and whose speech is gracious
     will have the king for his friend."
Proverbs 22:11

Cami




Linking up this week with:

and

29 comments:

  1. what a great life verse! I try to remind myself of that all the time...your pages look great...my life verse is Matthew 6:26 (message version) " Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description, careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds." I lived off that verse when I had cancer and was going through treatments...I am now over a year into remossion and i still cling to that verse...

    http://aprilbest1981.blogspot.com/2012/01/pl-week-4.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way The Message paraphrases that verse! "Unfettered," what a beautiful underused word... Praise the Lord for His graciousness and the remission of the cancer!

      Delete
  2. Good on you for pushing yourself to learn new techniques. Your layout looks great and that photo of your daughter is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some really beautiful photos in here. I love how you used part of the produce photo as a scrap on your verse - how clever!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving these pages Cami! Particularly the 6x12 stuff-I am going to need to incorporate that next week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pages!! I love the picture of your produce! It totally caught my eye. I also love the 80's hair as I am definitely a child of the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great layouts!

    I love that you included the pizza and the produce!

    My daughters love to braid their hair and make it look "crimped"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful. love the style of your album.. awesome photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your pages are beautiful. So clean!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. eeek the 80s hair, love it. My daughter called it her whale hair when she was that age ;) so fun. your foodie photos..yum-o. now i'm craving spinach pizza. best pizza topping ever!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pages. I am totally going to have to steal the idea of taking pics of cold/flu meds. We've been sick for the past couple of weeks. Ugh. Yummy pizza!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally jealous of your Illustrator skillz! I would never have guessed! Also mad jealous of the delicious produce! Beautiful pages!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love, love, love the words on the pictures!! I know I've said this before, but your pages are so fresh!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your pages and how you wrote right on the pages! So fun. Thanks for being ready to link up with me! I spaced that today was Tuesday already! My post is now up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just linked up. Thanks for letting me know, Krisi!

      Delete
  14. Wow! Wow! Love your pages, and I perused the rest of your blog. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love to scrap :) It's my creative outlet.

      Delete
  15. Great photos! I noticed the American Girl catalog. My Gracie LOVES American Girl so we normally have a catalog or two around our house :) Thanks for all the tips! I am a newbie and am trying to learn all I can about digital scrapping.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great! I love the 6X!2 picture! I wish I knew where or how to get one of those copied! I would love to include one in my album! I am sure I will eventually figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you print two at once you can put them side by side (making it 12x12) and get them printed anywhere you would normally get a scrapbook page printed. I print almost everything at Costco, but there are lots of other places these days too. I have heard that Persnickety Prints (online) is fabulous.

      Delete
  17. What a great week of photos you have. Congrats on learning so much techie stuff on your own. I want to text on photos one day, for now I just use my sharpies. Keep up the good work, isn't it great to have these moments captured.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I forgot to mention the verse you wrote about, I had that thought today with my kids. My one daughter who is almost 15 doesn't always use the nicest words and I explained to her how she should rethink her words and not have a trash mouth. She wasn't swearing but just not talking as nice as she should. I told her that even though the others around you talk this way doesn't mean you have to. I said be the one who is remembered for talking nice and go thru your life that way. That was a choice I made in high school and I've never regretted it.
    Sorry for the long explaination it was just nice to read this today. I hope my daughter will think about this.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your pages!!! I'm starting to find my work flow as well. It is good to be getting into the groove with this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great photos! The text on the pics adds such a great look.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love how PL is both a way to keep your family's memories and for you to learn new techniques. By the time 2012 is done, you're gonna be an expert :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beautiful pages, beautiful verse. LOVE the color! and the 6x12 photos - so neat that you've found one each week!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE what you did, Cami! Super cute! Love the photos and the cool photo sizes you used! Thanks so much for linking up at my blog (and for adding my button to your blog)! Awesome! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those fruits and veggies look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Crisp and clean... love all of the photos. This is such an inspiring and motivating layout... ~ kimmy

    ReplyDelete