Monday, January 2, 2012

Read | Austenland

I have been challenging myself to read more. Honestly it's driven by the realization that I watch far too much nonsense on hulu. (We get literally no T.V.)


I recently read Austenland by Shannon Hale. A fan of Jane Austen myself, I enjoyed the book. The main character has an obsession with Mr. Darcy, the one from the BBC production of Pride and Prejudice specifically. The main character has had a series of failed relationships, seemingly because no one lives up to the ideal man, as represented in the film's depiction of Mr. Darcy. She ends up going to a resort, where the guests are submerged into life during that era, a drama, orchestrated to give the guests the experience of being "wooed" in Austen-era style. And we all wait, knowing she will find love, because the author could not risk disappointing us...

It was much easier to read, even humorous, now that I have married and found my own Mr. Darcy. Having been single, with very little dating until I was nearly thirty, I could see a lot of myself in some of the main character (which is why we read books, isn't it?).

I cannot critique this book with the depth of an obsessed Jane Austen fan. However, the light read (it took me one night) reminded me that regardless of the era, culture, or circumstances to which we are born, we are all Eve looking for Adam. Eve was made, solely for Adam, she was brought to him by God. How romantic, right? But the story didn't end there, it's only part of a much bigger story (though we women often get obsessively hung up on that particular part of the story--I certainly don't like snakes, admitting my failures, or having my dear husband tell God about them).

We love novels because they are like paintings or photographs, capturing one moment. Real. Lovely reminders of the good. Life itself is so much more.

Photo Credit: Andrew Leigh Photography

"The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." Genesis 2:18

Cami

1 comment:

  1. Such a great picture of you and your hubby! I wish I read more also.....There are a ton of books I'd like to read but, I seem to never make it a priority.

    ReplyDelete