Friday, January 6, 2012

Read | Newby at Home

I subscribe and follow a lot of blogs. I don't think they count as books, but I do spend a lot of time reading them. Maybe we could throw them in with the devotional books, at least some of them, the ones that are spiritually inspiring. I'm talking about the ones who speak honestly about life, about God and how He desires us to live our lives. Sometimes wrestling with aspects of who they are or who God is, but always coming full-circle, anchoring deeply in truth. I've been trying to spend time on those kinds of blogs lately, because I am recognizing that I need that kind of inspiration more and more the older I get.

One of the blogs I follow is Newby at Home. This post Catie wrote really echoed a lot of my thoughts and feelings right now. I love organization in theory, too. When my perspective on life spins recklessly out-of-control I pick a drawer and organize it. Not a highly practical solution, but intensely therapeutic for me. I do the same thing when my house is a wreck. When my kitchen looks like I haven't cleaned it in weeks (and really it's just that I didn't clean up thoroughly after last night's dinner) I organize the silverware drawer, then I just look at it and breath in and out, in and out. Then, eventually I can tackle the kitchen.

But really it's about perspective... remember I said when my perspective on life spins recklessly out-of-control... really truly none of it ever spins out-of-control. At least not if we believe that God is holding us in the palm of His hand and is in control of our lives. I believe that. I really do, even in the chaos of my life, my real life. So it's about altering my perspective, asking to see as He does.

Catie wrote on her blog, "Life is good though. Really." This was said after speaking to her frustration over feeling like she can't finish anything, because life as a mom is full of interruptions. Oh how I feel that too! Life is good though. Really!


When Mercy got up this morning it was a little later than usual. She was still lying in bed awake when I got home from a MOPS meeting at ten o'clock last night, so she was extra tired this morning. But we still paused long enough to snuggle on the couch before she got her breakfast eaten and daytime clothes on. A snuggle on the couch almost always makes the day better for us. And she said, "Mommy, I love you." Had I hurried, I would have missed that. I don't want to miss that. Not ever.

Three spiritually inspiring blogs that I follow:


"Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let our gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.


"Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Whatever you have learned or received or heard from me, or seen in me--put it into practice. And the God of peace will be with you." Philippians 4:4-9






Cami

2 comments:

  1. looking forward to checking that blog out! I read aholyexperience.com (ann voskamp) too and love it. She wrote the book 1000 gifts. So good about being thankful for everything, even the hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the shout out! Those are great verses, too. Verse 4 is one of my mantras! :D

    And nothing can replace the feeling you get when your child just says, "I love you, Mama." out of the blue. Those are the moments we live for, right?

    Your daughter is so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete