Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Recipes | Chocolate Zucchini Bread


We've been getting tons of zucchini delivered in our weekly Box of Good delivery. Recently I realized I could actually cook it yummy, sauteed in a little olive oil and salt and pepper. But, I can't get my kids to eat it that way... yet. So I resort to chocolate zucchini bread to sneak some zucchini into their diet. I started with this recipe. The problem is, it really isn't healthy at all. Really hardly any difference than chocolate cake (you all are thinking, THAT'S why they'll eat it).

I decided to change it up a bit to make it a little healthier. The good news... it is YUMMIER! Honest!

So here is my version of the recipe:

Yummy Healthier Chocolate Zucchini Bread, makes 3 loaves (no, that's NOT a type-o)

Mix:
3 cups whole wheat flour
3 cups of evaporated cane sugar (could do a little less than this)
1/2 cup baking cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Separately Mix:
4 eggs
3/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup homemade applesauce
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Combine wet ingredients to dry ingredients. Fold in 3-4 cups of shredded zucchini.* Pour evening into three separate prepared pans. Cook at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes. Check before that. I had one loaf done in about 35 minutes! It was the same size, just a different non-stick pan. Cool for about ten minutes and remove them from the pans and finish cooling on a wire rack.

* Tip: If your kids freak out at the sight of anything green a perfect solution is to puree the zucchini. I usually do this so they are willing to eat the bread. Don't judge me.

"She gets up while it is still dark;
    she provides food for her family."
Proverbs 31:15a

Cami

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the recipe. Judah loves that stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to try that! I LOVE it cut up like matchsticks, heat some olive oil in a pan and toss in a few sliced almonds till lightly brown, then add the zuchinni for like 1 min. Put parm. cheese on and serve hot. YUM! (my kids wouldn't touch it though. ha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks delicious, I'll have to try it, thank you for the recipe!!

    ReplyDelete