Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Read It | A Reluctant Queen


I just finished a book that my sister-in-law loaned me, A Reluctant Queen by Joan Wolf. It's written as the fictitious love story of Esther. Huge liberties are taken in the biblical account. It is fiction, based on one very real character. It is an intriguing read.

What I loved: I loved that it stirred in me a curiosity about the realness of the people in the biblical accounts. There is so much more behind the stories that we aren't privileged to know. Wolf does a great job of imagining what Esther might be thinking and feeling. And I loved understanding some of the traditions explained further.

What I didn't like: The huge liberties taken that are contrary to the facts in the story in order to "make a great story". Not everyone who reads this book will have read the book of Esther and be able to sort out fact from fiction. That said, the other does write a brief note at the close of the book correcting some of the facts and explaining the freedoms she took in writing.

Would I recommend it? Yes, as a light read, if you are well-versed in the original story and do not read it as biblical truth, because it is not. It is entertaining.