Friday, June 8, 2012

Blessing my Children {Belief}

The idea of blessing my children was a new concept to me, even though I grew up in the church and grew up in a very strong Christian home. It is something I stumbled upon through a curriculum I worked with for Sunday School last summer. I fell in love with it because my son loved it.

The concept is simple. The intention is for an intimate laying of a hand on them and speaking your desires for them aloud, not keeping them hidden in your own heart.

My children ask me to bless them. Really. It's beautiful. Children long to hear words that encourage and nourish their hearts. They love hearing what we want them to be and become. So we have been saying a blessing over each of children each night after prayers, when tucking them into bed. For a while I have been "winging-it". I don't think there is anything wrong with that. But I desire more intentionality in my life, so I am trying to plan and prepare a blessing each night.

Tonight's blessing:
Daniel/Mercy/Gracie, though you have not seen Jesus, you love him. And even though you do not see him now, may you continue to love him and be filled with His inexpressible and glorious joy, because you know that you have received the gift of salvation.
Based on I Peter 1:8-9

Cami