Thursday, August 30, 2012

40 New Recipes | #5 Broccoli Slaw

I dislike broccoli. A lot. It stinks. I remember sitting at my grandma's dinner table as a kids and her lecturing me (and my mother) about eating my vegetables and not understanding why I did like broccoli. Really? What kid loves broccoli. I remember thinking I'm never going to like broccoli and when I grow up, NO ONE IS GOING TO MAKE ME EAT BROCCOLI.

I'm all grown up now and believe it or not it was my MOTHER who first gave me a broccoli dish that I liked. Yep. And it was just a couple of weeks ago. She served a broccoli slaw, which I put a very, very small helping on my plate, to be polite. Ate it. First. Because I eat what I don't like first so that I can chase it down with something yummy and the yuck is quickly forgotten. But I liked it! Cami like it! Seriously! Yum! (Mom got the recipe from a memorial service luncheon she was helping with. Unfortunately I don't know the original source of the recipe.)

So I asked for the recipe. I've made it three or four times since then, so I am sharing the recipe with you, because I have had someone ask for it, each time it was served. It is a great potluck salad. It's a perfect side to a crunchy sandwich (think skip the chips...?)


And I totally should have been on chopped the other night because one of the basket ingredients was instant ramen noodles and NOBODY crunched them up and toasted them in butter.



Broccoli Slaw
Serves 12

2 bags (3oz) Top Ramen (Oriental flavor)
3/4 cube butter
1/2 cup slivered almonds
2 bags (12 oz) broccoli slaw
1/2 cup sunflower seeds

Dressing
3/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 seasoning packets from the Top Ramen

  • Crush ramen noodles in a plastic bag while melting butter in a large skillet over medium/low heat.
  • Add crushed noodles and slivered almonds to the melted butter and stir occasionally until they are a light golden brown
  • Whisk all dressing ingredients in a small bowl
  • Put broccoli slaw, slightly cooled noodles and almonds and sunflower seeds in a large bowl
  • Pour dressing over salad and toss
Enjoy!

cami

2 comments:

  1. I might even like that~ (i don't like broccolli either!) where do you get broccoli slaw??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can get it at Walmart or Haggen. It's with your bagged lettuce options. I didn't know where to get it either. My mom told me. :) It really is good.

      Delete