Wednesday, August 22, 2012

40 Place By 40 | NEW Place 11 {Maryhill Museum}

When I turned 39 I made a list of things I want to do by 40 (August 2, 2013). The list is intentionally broad, mostly because I want to become it's about steering my life in a specific direction, not about checking things off a bucket list. You can see my list here. We're definitely having fun and I find it's helping me to make the choice to try something new rather than returning to the comfort of the familiar. Plus, I see positive changes in Daniel, who is seven, in his desire to trust us in trying new things.

NEW Place #11 {Mayhill Museum}
Maryhill, WA
Cost: $21


This was by far my favorite thing we did this weekend. It was far beyond what I was expecting. The outdoor portion is free and it was the kids' favorite. So if you are in the area and you have young ones, get there early before others and explore the outdoor sculptures. Our kids loved it and we haven't exposed them to a ton of art. It was going to be another hot day of over 100 degrees, so we did the outdoor stuff first, while it was still not too hot.


The first outdoor sculpture was called The Grace Blue. Of course we needed to get a photo of Gracie by the sign.


Me and Gracie next to the same sculpture.



The kids' favorites included these two sculptures (surprisingly not by the same artists). One is a deer, the other is a larger than life-size horse. Somehow I didn't get one of the horse, other than the one below. The kids were fascinated by the fact that it was constructed from a variety of metal tools.




This metal flower was interesting too. We thought it was an interesting use of chains.







The huge field outside the museum was great for running. The girls ran and ran and loved it.

Inside was amazing and I can not believe that I don't have a single picture. I was pretty focused on holding the hands of the girls, to make sure they didn't touch anything. It was three three floors of amazing artwork. They even had a Rodin exhibit. If I'd been without the kids I could have looked at this area much longer, but Gracie when we were in the indoor sculptures said, "Mommy, they need some daytime clothes. I don't want to see their bottoms. I think we should go." True. Too true. So we kept moving.


As we were leaving I got one last photo of this sculpture.

I was most proud of my kids today with how they handled themselves in the museum. We were inside well over an hour. There was one very small room they were allowed to touch things and the rest of the time they had to keep their hands to themselves and they did. There also wasn't any whining. They were definitely their best selves!

I highly recommend this if you are ever vacationing along the Columbia River where it separates Washington and Oregon. So worth the money and time if you like art, even a little bit.

There is still more coming, but not a lot. I'll get to posting the rest soon.

cami

"For the sun rises with scorching heat and withers the plant; its blossom falls and its beauty is destroyed. In the same way, the rich man will fade away even while he goes about his business." James 1:11

No comments:

Post a Comment