Thursday, August 23, 2012

Inspiration | On Ignorance and Curiosity

Recently I have been reading a blog that has been uplifting, inspiring, and prods me to think more deeply, awakening the contemplative introvert that has been shoved into the back of my figurative closet the last couple of years of busy living. It's this blog {Chatting at the Sky} and if there is an introvert in the heart of your person, please read it. Enjoy. Struggle. Make time to reflect and ponder and dig deep into your heart again. Even if you are a mommy of three and it means you have to get up at five to find quiet space. You. Your Bible. And a catalyst for some real thoughts, beyond I should lists, and I must lists. It might spark the beautiful in you again that's been dulled a bit by the mundane.

When I was young I learned the art of nodding and forcing my body into communicating understanding when someone was explaining something to me. Even when I understood very little. I dislike very much the feeling of stupidity and have spent years attempting to cover it up, adding to my stupidity at a much higher rate than I might otherwise have experienced. This morning I read this post. The following quote led me into a depth of retrospect.

"Love a horse and talk to plumbers. Ask questions of everybody and don't hide your ignorance, for ignorance is simply the unlit side of curiosity and the outside of the door to wisdom and knowledge. Be a limitless person to others and maybe you will stretch them more than your art does. Let's hope."
-Harold Best's letter to artists as recorded in Scribbling in the Sand by Michael Card

Feel free to read that. Again. And again. I did. Let it change your day. Then your week. Your season. Your year. Your fear. I want it to change mine. If I can let go of that habit to hide my ignorance, it just might.

I told my hubby this weekend when we were visiting dams (for him) and museums (for me) on our family vacation that I wish I'd focused more in school on subjects that didn't interest me because then I'd have the knowledge to answer my son's questions about how a mammoth turbine creates electricity. Because, my son interests me greatly. His curiosity is pure and open and unhidden. Unlike mine.

I want to stop hiding what I don't know. I want to ask more questions and listen completely to the answers before forming new questions.

cami

No comments:

Post a Comment