Saturday, November 10, 2012

40 Things By 40 | 3 Month Update

I'm more than three months into my 40 Things By 40 Project. If you read my original post, you know there are five different parts to my personal challenge to make this last year before I turn 40 fun, productive, and meaningful. I have blogged specifically about some of the books read aloud, creative projects, new places and new recipes, but not all. I found the burden of documenting them well was overshadowing the joy of experiencing them, so I relieved myself of the burden of having to post about all of the things I'm doing. Still, you will find note of them here in my update, even if there isn't a link to a corresponding post.

I have been most surprised and most delighted by the fact that this has been my favorite part of the journey. I loved, loved, loved to read, escaping into a book for hours almost every day as a kid. I read every single Trixie Belden book, thanks to my Aunt Jessie who purchased and shared her copies with me. (They now are tucked on my bookshelf to share with my girls, when they are just a bit older.) I imagined myself as Honey, Trixie's best friend who was terrified of snakes.

As a grown up I have so many things I both want and need to do that personal reading has primarily been reserved for vacations, evenings when Eric is away, and nights when my heart, mind, or body is restless and sleep is illusive. Discovering some new series with my kids has reminded me how much I adore the feeling of getting to know a character, more and more with each book. Right now McCall Smith's Saturday Big Tent Wedding Party, a book in the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series is on my night stand. I think it's my favorite series post Trixie Belden.

But here's what I've been reading to the kids:

Book #1 {The Magic Tree House #10 | Ghost Town at Sundown, Mary Pope Osbourne}
Book #2 {The Magic Tree House #11 | Lions at Lunchtime, Mary Pope Osbourne}
Book #3 {The Magic Tree House #12 | Polar Bears Past Bedtime, Mary Pope Osbourne}
Book #4 {Imagination Station #1 | Voyage with the Vikings, Marianne Hering and Paul McCusker}
Book #5 {Socks, Beverly Clearly}
Book #6 {Herbie Jones and the Second Grade Slippers, Suzy Kline}
Book #7 {Imagination Station #2 | Attack at the Arena, Marianne Hering and Paul McCusker}
Book #8 {Imagination Station #3 | Peril in the Palace, Marianne Hering and Paul McCusker}
Book #9 {Stella Bats #2 | Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow, Courtney Sheinmel}
Book #10 {Stella Bats #3 | Pardon Me, Courtney Sheinmel}
Book #11 {Herbie Jones Sails into Second Grade, Suzy Kline}
Book #12 {Imagination Station #4 | Revenge of the Red KnightMarianne Hering and Paul McCusker}
Book #13 {Piper Reed The Great Gypsy, Christine Davenier}



Book #14 {Cabin Creek Mysteries #4 | The Haunting of Hillside School, Kristiana Gregory}
Book #15 {Harvey's Horrible Snake Disaster, Eth Clifford}

15 Down, 25 to Go!

I really hadn't done much besides scrapbooking for Project Life to get my creative juices flowing. My blog silence has been useful for creating enough space and energy to enjoy some other creative projects again. I have the following projects completed. Look for upcoming posts on the following projects:

Project 1: Felt Memory Game
Project 2: Twig Bucket List Tree
Project 3: Showers of Blessing Baby Shower
Project 4: Hooked on MOPS Mini Gift

4 Down, 36 to Go!

#1 Lafeen's
#2 Peace Arch Park
#3 Little Red Caboose Cafe
#4 Million Smiles Playground
#5 Byways Cafe
#6 Vista House
#7 Bonneville Dam
#8 Apple Valley Country Store
#9 G. Williker's Toy Shoppe
#10 Solstice Wood Fire Cafe
#11 Maryhill Museum
#12 Goldendale Observatory State Park
#13 Maryhill Stonehenge
#14 Baldwin Saloon
#15 Twin Park
#16 Pioneer Pumpkins and Corn Maze

16 Down, 24 to Go!
#1 Salted Carmel Brownies
#2 Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bread
#3 Salted S'more Pops
#4 Chocolate Cream Cheese Cupcakes
#5 Broccoli Slaw
#6 Pumpkin Poppers
#7 Granola Bars
#8 Chicago Steakhouse Sandwiches
#9 Greek Tacos
#10 Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats
#11 Exquisite Pizza Sauce
#12 Creamy Winter Squash Soup
#11 Greek Tacos
#12 Mini Corn Dogs
#13 Sausage, Kale, and White Bean Soup
#14 Crockpot Teriyaki Chicken

14 Down, 26 to Go!

I have a long way to go, but I love that I'm doing this. I am learning a lot about myself in this process.

First, I go in fits and spurts. There will be a period of time when I do a ton and feel like I'm knocking off so many things, then I crash and want to do absolutely nothing. Second, I pick one area to focus on at a time and chuck a few off. I don't do the balance thing well. But isn't that the pursuit of life, achieving balanced living. It's so elusive for me. I am such a pendulum that swings completely one way before the momentum forces me back that other way. Still... I am so glad that I am doing this, even if it isn't something that I post on the blog regularly. I find it is helping me to look for new books, new places, and new foods when I usually would rather default to my old favorites.

What are you doing new lately?

cami

1 comment:

  1. You've already made huge progress toward many of your "40 by 40" goals. Good job!!

    ReplyDelete