Sunday, November 18, 2012

James | Mercy Triumphs {Week 3}


I didn't have to wade through very much this week before conviction sunk deep. But it was in Day Two {The Perfect Law} that conviction became something very personal.

Self-deception. James suggests we deceive ourselves (James 1:22-25). Really? Hmm. Okay, probably.

Oh then Beth Moore goes on to say something that cuts right to the heart (my heart), "The self-deception slithers in when we mistake appreciation for application or being touched with being changed." Awkwardly true, at least for me. How often have I sat in church, in a Bible Study, or at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee and a friend, nodded my head with vigor and thought, "Oh, yeah, baby, that's right. He/she really spoke truth there." I might even wipe away a genuine tear. But then I shuttle my kids to the car, or chat with the lady next to me about something we I volunteered for, or stick the coffee cups in the dishwasher and promptly move to the next thing in my day. Unchanged. "The hearing itself can be satisfying," Moore further explains.

It makes me think of music. There is nothing like music to affect my mood. I have one instrumental CD that I put on EVERY time the world feels heavy and I need a temporary lift out of the place where my emotions are where they aren't supposed to be. Are you with me? Do you know what I mean?

Lately the music at our church has gone through a lot of change and I really struggle to worship through music (at least corporately anymore). I am hopeful that it won't always be like that. But I'm amazed at how this change in music affects my mood, often starting Saturday night and working it's way through Sunday and sometimes hanging onto Monday. Music is important stuff, and sometimes hearing music is enough to satisfy. But God means for it to be so much more, He means for it to transform us. It's meant to be more than merely moving while we hear it. No, it's meant to stay with us, changing us. Do you agree?

I don't want to just hear the word, I want to do what it says.

cami

"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in the mirror and , after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does." James 1:22-25


1 comment:

  1. I'm totally in agreement with you about music. Music can transform the atmosphere, change hearts and put us back into the place where we belong. It's HUGE and I think God intended for it to move us like that.

    ReplyDelete