Friday, November 16, 2012

Project Life | Week Forty-Five

I worked on Project Life in the middle of the day for a change. Usually I wait until after the kids are in bed. All the kids are home today because of Parent-Teacher Conferences. In our house it's usually easier to have all three home, than just one. They play together well (usually) and so less is required of me when Gracie has a playmate. So I was able to focus on Project Life for a couple of hours this morning.


I didn't have a whole lot to say about the presidential election, but I wanted to include it, since it is kind of a big deal. Democracy is fascinating to me. I find myself comparing political chatter here with conversations I listened to when I lived in Haiti (1979-1991, 2000). Here things seems so intensely charged with emotions, maybe it's because there is a sense that our passions can truly affect our political reality. Here it seems safest to keep your thoughts to yourself, especially in religious circles since so often ones religious views are so entangled in their political views (which is to be expected). I think we all put a little too much faith in the power we think a president has over our personal future. There, I said far more than I usually say about politics and I've probably offended someone even though I can't imagine how. (But we all come with our own experience and I can't possibly know yours, so if I've offended you, please excuse me.)


This week was charged with emotions for us, too, but emotions that didn't have anything to do with the presidential election. We finished assembling our Operation Christmas Child Shoe Box. Such a great thing to do with the kids. We took a trip to Target with the sole purpose of purchasing things for the box, nothing for us. It helped us to stay focus on the purpose. Later in the week my son got to be the VIP (Very Intelligent Person) in his class and had the opportunity to teach his classmates a skill (he taught them to draw a soccer player). I was back at the kids' school at the end of the week for the Veteran's Day Concert. They called those who have served or are currently serving up front to stand in front. I'm not a crier. But I cried. I have been thinking all week about the sacrifices that others have made for my freedoms. I don't ever want to take that for granted.

So that was last week...

cami

"The grass withers and the flowers fall,
    but the word of our God stands forever."
Isaiah 40:8

No comments:

Post a Comment