Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Rambling Thoughts | Why You Really Can Be Confident

This morning I read a post over at (in)courage: Why You Really Can Be Confident. Go read it. It's short. It's pithy. It's worth the couple of minutes. If you aren't up for clicking over there, then the basic synopsis is that according to Hebrews 11:1 "Faith is confidence..." The author Holley Gerth notes that faith and confidence come from the same source and really are connected and that we in fact should be confident.

I struggle with that word confidence, as a Christian woman. Anyone else? When I see a woman who is confident I automatically think arrogant. Anyone else with me, or is just my own insecurities talking? But I have been mulling on that, especially since reading that post and I'm wondering if what I'm really seeing isn't confidence, but over-confidence (there is such a thing). You know the, "I'm all that and a bag of chips attitude." Maybe I only notice it when it is over-done and slipping out of the what God is doing in me and into what I am doing. There have been little glimmer-y moments when I feel this inner delight that I am doing what God has called me to do and it feels good. I feel this bubble of... confidence (but I've never called it that, I've used words like assurance) that He is in this moment that I am in, whether it's visiting with a friend across the table, praying with a group of ladies, or stretched out on my daughters bed talking to her face to face about her emotions and what is making her sad. Faith that He (the Holy Spirit) is present, guiding me, in this. Confidence (assurance) that He is present, in this.

This kind of confidence doesn't allow me to hang my head, but I'm not sure it really means for me to hold me head up high, unless you mean in the metaphorically sense of looking up to the One I have confidence in.

cami

"Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see." Hebrews 11:1

2 comments:

  1. Cami I know what you mean, I think I struggle with that all the time- in some indirect ways maybe we were taught that to be a godly woman is the opposite of being confidant(?). The verse "we are more than conquerors," and also the one about being given a "spirit of power and love and a sound mind" have been spinning through my mind the past few months. I would like to learn to walk in that kind of confidence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the idea of confidence needing to be redefined for me is true. I think my understanding has been skewed by my denominational heritage in particular. Even when I think I've erased some ideas that haven't proved themselves to be right on target with who I know God to be, there is still so much evidence in my life that I once believed them to be true. I love the passage of a "spirit of power and love and a sound mind" too.

      Delete