Tuesday, February 5, 2013

40 Things To Do By 40 | 6 Month Update




Bet you thought I forgot. I didn't. I am still plunking away at my 40 Things To Do By 40 Project, just not making a big deal about it on the blog. But we are halfway through my year and it seems appropriate to do a little progress report, at least on these areas. First observation? I have to step up the pace, especially in my creative endeavors.

Here's what I've been reading to the kids:

Book #1 {The Magic Tree House #10 | Ghost Town at Sundown, Mary Pope Osbourne}
Book #2 {The Magic Tree House #11 | Lions at Lunchtime, Mary Pope Osbourne}
Book #3 {The Magic Tree House #12 | Polar Bears Past Bedtime, Mary Pope Osbourne}
Book #4 {Imagination Station #1 | Voyage with the Vikings, Marianne Hering and Paul McCusker}
Book #5 {Socks, Beverly Clearly}
Book #6 {Herbie Jones and the Second Grade Slippers, Suzy Kline}
Book #7 {Imagination Station #2 | Attack at the Arena, Marianne Hering and Paul McCusker}
Book #8 {Imagination Station #3 | Peril in the Palace, Marianne Hering and Paul McCusker}
Book #9 {Stella Bats #2 | Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow, Courtney Sheinmel}
Book #10 {Stella Bats #3 | Pardon Me, Courtney Sheinmel}
Book #11 {Herbie Jones Sails into Second Grade, Suzy Kline}
Book #12 {Imagination Station #4 | Revenge of the Red Knight, Marianne Hering and Paul McCusker}
Book #13 {Piper Reed The Great Gypsy, Christine Davenier}
Book #14 {Cabin Creek Mysteries #4 | The Haunting of Hillside School, Kristiana Gregory}
Book #15 {Harvey's Horrible Snake Disaster, Eth Clifford}

Book #16 Piper Reed Navy Brat (Book 1), Christine Davenier
Book #17 Stella Batts #4 | A Case of the Meanies, Courtney Sheinmel
Book #18 Piper Reed #4 / Campfire Girl, Christine DavenierBook #19 Junie B. Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth, Barbara Park
Book #20 The Tiara Club | Princess Charlotte and the Birthday Ball, Vivian French
Book #21 Piper Reed #5/Rodeo Star, Christine Davenier

21 Down, 19 to Go!

I really haven't done much besides scrapbooking for Project Life to get my creative juices flowing. I am hoping in the upcoming weeks to keep up the creativity in other areas. I used to do that kind of thing a lot. But there is already so much "stuff" around the house that has to do with being a parent of small ones that I find I hate pulling out anymore "stuff" that adds to the clutter. But I'm slipping behind in this arena, so I need to step it up BIG TIME!

Project 3: Showers of Blessing Baby Shower
Project 4: Hooked on MOPS Mini Gift
Project 5: Personalized Bird Nest Pendants
Project 6: Beaded Earrings
Project 7: Knotted Headband
Project 9: Glittered Salt Dough Ornaments

9 Down, 31 to Go!

#12 Goldendale Observatory State Park
#13 Maryhill Stonehenge
#14 Baldwin Saloon
#15 Twin Park
#16 Pioneer Pumpkins and Corn Maze
#17 Taco Del Mar (really, first time and loved it!)

17 Down, 24 to Go!
#9 Greek Tacos
#10 Apple Cinnamon Steel Cut Oats
#11 Exquisite Pizza Sauce
#12 Creamy Winter Squash Soup
#11 Greek Tacos
#17 Homemade Fruit Snacks
#19 BBQ Meatballs

20 Down, 20 to Go!

I have a long way to go, but I love that I'm doing this. I am learning a lot about myself in this process.

First, I go in fits and spurts. There will be a period of time when I do a ton and feel like I'm knocking off so many things, then I crash and want to do absolutely nothing. Second, I pick one area to focus on at a time and chunk a few off. I don't do the balance thing well. But isn't that the pursuit of life, achieving balanced living. It's so elusive for me. I am such a pendulum that swings completely one way before the momentum forces me back that other way. Still... I am so glad that I am doing this, even if it isn't something that I post on the blog regularly. I find it is helping me to look for new books, new places, and new foods when I usually would rather default to my old favorites. And I don't think I need to spend any more time looking for new creative projects (hello pinterest), just more time DOING them.

What new things are you doing lately?

cami

2 comments:

  1. '40 New Things By 40' was a huge undertaking and I think you're doing great! I especially love the 40 new places, what a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new places has changed where we go for weekend family trips. Rather than an old familiar place we've tried some new things. I am such a creature of habit (I always order the same thing at a restaurant) that this has been a good push for me personally. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete