Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Week In The Life 2014 | Monday Words & Photos

Week In The Life snuck up on me. Since Ali Edwards changed her blog I haven't been quite so faithful to visit. I still get her posts in my in bin, but I just haven't been paying as much attention. So there has been no preparation, just life happening here. I haven't been good about taking pictures lately, so hopefully this week will be redemptive in documenting now.

It's about capturing right now for us. I can do that. I want to do that.


Right now books are prominent. We read whenever we can fit a little (or a lot) in. At the bus stop. After school. After dinner. In bed before the lights go out. Mercy is loving tag-team reading. She reads a page. I read a page. She follows along when I read. I think she's like me, a stronger sight reader than phonetic reader. A handicap, but still we move forward in our strengths. We're reading Judy Moody together and loving it. We just got a mammoth stack of books from the cousins. Mercy felt encouraged when I looked up some lexile numbers on the books she was reading (I love lexile.com). It made her realize she's smart. And my heart felt proud and achy and so full of love for that girl of mine. Adore her.


Right now our counters are a mess. They do get cleaned up at least once every day, but a lot of the day they are looking like this, used. And I am trying to live with the mess, passing less judgment on myself and extending myself a little grace and mercy.


Right now I'm the last one out of this bed in the morning, so making it falls to me. And it doesn't always get done. I know what the Fly Lady says. Sometimes my sink doesn't get cleaned either. Gasp. Again, a little grace and mercy is nourishing my soul right now.


Right now I do get dressed every day. It's been a long time since we've had a pajama day in our house. There is always something that needs doing away from home it seems. I do often go to the bus stop in my sweats, however. Today it's my work-at-the-church day, after Weight Watchers weigh-in. A one-time schedule change.



Right now I enjoy the days that very few people are at work. I get more done without distraction. I only have to be there until the job gets done, so the days without many co-workers in the office or children's programs running in the church generally mean shorter work days. Much of my job is relational, however, so the days with minimal people interaction are scarce. I got to leave work before 2PM and I felt a little bit giddy!

Leaving work early made me feel more ready for the kids and hubby when they walked in the door about 4:15.

  • 4:15 Kids off bus. Snack of apple slices. I drink coffee while going through folders of papers. Mercy shows off her timed subtraction test where she hit the benchmark and got her name added to Mr. C's Wall of Fame. Snuggled with Gracie while she talked about her day. Flew through Daniel's paper stack.
  • 4:30 Caught up with Eric in the bedroom. We're in the habit of spending five to ten minutes when he gets home just reconnecting without the kids talking in our ears, making sure we're on the same page for the evening plan.
  • 5:15 Eric calls Del Fox Meats to tell them how the half a cow we purchased from a local cattle raiser needs to be cut and wrapped.
  • 5:50 Dinner is ready. Crunchy fish and sweet potato fries with salad, fresh veggies, and peas. Get ready to pray and Daniel starts to cry and say something about homework. I tell Daddy and the girls to get started while Daniel and I head back to the bedroom to talk. He's overwhelmed by his homework. IXL has already taken nearly an hour and he still isn't done. Plus he has XtrMath and reading to do. We talk about tackling the easy tasks first and getting them moved off his to do list, but first eating dinner so he can use his full brain power.
  • 6:20 Eric clears up dinner dishes while I help Mercy read. Twenty minutes down. Send her to work on Math. Get Gracie started on her reading.
  • 7:00 Mercy does extra reading on ThinkCentral. Daniel has been working on his homework. Still not done. Multiple moments of frustration and tears. Now Daddy is sitting with him while he works, encouraging. So thankful Eric is helping tonight.
  • 7:45 Everyone is finally done with homework. Pajamas are one. Dessert enjoyed. Teeth brushed. Let them go to the garage to work in Daniel's "workshop". Lot of nails being pounded into wood scraps. Duct tape being wrapped around wood.
  • 8:10 Call them in for family devotions and prayers.
  • 8:25 In bed listening to a book on CD from the library.
  • 8:30 Eric pays bills. I finish cleaning up the kitchen from dinner.
  • 9:00 Eric and I finish watching an episode of The Amazing Race we started the night before and eat frozen fruit.
  • 9:30 Eric and I head to bed. Try to watch an old episode of House Crashers in bed on his laptop, but it's acting up. Give up and go to sleep instead.

That's more story captured than I've documented in a long time. So worth the extra effort.

Find out more about Week In The Life HERE. It's not too late to jump in!

cami

No comments:

Post a Comment