Sunday, July 19, 2015

A Kid Again or for the First Time

This happened on Saturday.


Eric and I have been talking about getting a trampoline on and off for the last few months. I don't remember for sure who brought it up first, but I'm thinking it was him. I want to say that I was indifferent, but that wouldn't be entirely true. But it definitely wasn't something I had my heart set on. (It's no secret I've been longing for new carpet now that we are pet-free again.)

We aren't that family that buys our kids outdoor toys. We never bought a backyard play set. The expense. The work. The maintenance. We talked ourselves out of it every single time it came up. So when we started talking about a trampoline I kind of assumed we would talk ourselves out of that too.

The last two weeks we started looking, online. My husband is an engineer. From the first mention of a trampoline he said, "If we get one, it's got to be a Springfree." Personally I thought that was just a way to limit the possibility of our actually owning one. But the truth is he wanted a Springfree because they are supposed to be the safest trampolines on the market and he was impressed with their engineering. (Blah, blah, blah.) But I started to look for a used Springfree one because those babies are pricey. (Remember how easy it is for us to talk ourselves out of a big purchase?)

Yesterday was the day. We did it! Honestly, I had no idea! There is nothing quite like that feeling of being airborne. I feel like a kid, at nearly 42. I am definitely having just as much fun or more fun than the kids. Worth every penny!


This morning I have been trying to come up with some spiritual application or justification for buying a trampoline. I'm coming up pretty empty. But there is that verse, Matthew 7:11 that talks about good gifts, "If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" I am not suggesting that God gave us a trampoline because we asked him for one and you should do the same. But I am suggesting that verse implies that God does expect us to give good gifts to our children. This was a good gift. I need to make sure I give each of the kids plenty of turns, instead of hogging it all for myself. Don't be afraid to give your children really great gifts sometimes. Might it help them to better understand that their Heavenly Father would want to give them really good things too?


2 comments:

  1. Yeah! You got one! A fun thing to do on a hot day... put the sprinkler underneath (or just off to the side if you don't want it spraying up through) and let the kids (and you) jump in their swim suits! Such fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sprinkler idea is brilliant! We have it in the shade, so most of the time the heat won't be a problem, but on days like yesterday... well everywhere was hot.

      Delete